"It's critical for dairy farmers
to speak with one voice
on issues facing our industry."
Tom Fleming, ODPA chair
& dairy farmer from Allen Co.
Building a Stronger Dairy Industry
ODPA is a united group of dairy producers
who share a genuine concern for the
future of their farms and their industry.
Managing Your Dairy Farm Workforce
An HR Legal Seminar - Dec. 10 in Wooster
9:30 AM Registration; 10 AM-1:30 PM Seminar
A successful dairy farm is built upon great cow management and great employees who help carry out your dairy business plans. Having an effective employee handbook and managing your dairy workforce with clarity and compassion are tools for your success as a dairy farm owner.
To help assure that your business and employee management tools are in place and current, join ODPA for a human resource legal seminar on Tuesday, December 10th at the Shisler Conference Center in Wooster.
Jim Petrie, a partner at Bricker & Eckler LLP in Columbus and experienced in employment and labor, will provide guidance to help you clearly communicate your expectations to those working on your farm and provide training related to:
- Issues caused by “borrowed,” poorly drafted or no handbooks
- An overview of recommended policies for your employee handbook including: personnel records, at-will employment, conflict of interest, confidentiality, references, attendance, discipline, training and probationary periods, salary and wage payment, benefits for full-time employees, worker’s compensation, performance evaluations, harassment, prohibited conduct, substance abuse, weapons, workplace violence, workplace injury , smoking, leave of absences, outside employment, social media
- Benefits of having a well-drafted handbook
- Strategies for avoiding employment related legal claims
- A checklist of interview questions and tips for identifying red flags in potential employees
Information about a comprehensive employee handbook template that can be purchased and customized to meet your individual needs.
Registration begins at 9:30, and will conclude by 1:30 pm. Lunch will be provided thanks to our sponsors.
All Ohio dairy farmers are invited to attend, and there's no registration fee!